Filing a Motion for Continuance

You speak to the Court by filing a motion. Continuances of any hearing may be accomplished by filing a Motion for Continuance at least twenty-four (24) business hours prior to the scheduled court date. The motion is filed in the Clerk of Court’s office.

All requests for continuances shall be in writing and must include the following information:

Courtroom 2

  • The case caption (plaintiff and defendant name)
  • Case Number as it appears on the Complaint and Summons you received from the Clerk of Court.
  • The date and time of your scheduled court date.
  • The reason for the request for continuance.
  • A service clause indicating that the other parties have been notified of your request for continuance and how you notified them. E.g. regular mail, certified mail, etc.
  • Signature of the person asking for the continuance or his/her attorney

Requests for continuances filed in the civil division must be accompanied by a $25.00 non-refundable filing fee.

Your continuance request may not be granted. You should check the Court’s website or call the Court to check the status of your case and to confirm whether the motion has been granted.